Weekly War Blog 4th Feb 2012

Hello! Welcome to the new weekly blog.

There's been 3 days of play .... so how does the fighting go on the Challenge?
Well, it's a good start by our American friends with Anton storming through the trenches and snatching 2 wins. Jules4 and magijoh1 leading the UK & Co army, not lacking in courage and in hot pursuit I might add, are surrounded by enemy Generals ... well, Invincibles actually but it has a more martial ring to it! The nearest ally is dippo down in the 9th bunker valiantly leading a small posse of reinforcements ... lg549, morelli and Stuhern. This could be an unpleasant , messy scene of carnage in the days to come with a defensive line of USA Invincibles in their path. I shall not mention their names ... these Fearsome One's who must be Feared.
At this early stage in the friendly hostilities there are always more than a few individual fights breaking out on the battlefield. So I shall pan my telescope around and zoom in.
Spotted one!
You have to admire Qmel and suep of the USA ... take care my friends! Whilst you're chasing Stuhern, hmm ... that's brave ... you have martin cube, markswood and paper aeroplane hot on your heels. There is many a brave war hero suffered a sniper shot from behind. I know these interesting things for fact , as I'm the volunteer medic who trots haphazardly through the missile range to tend to the poor fallen with aqua vitae, stern words and bandages.
Ah ... astralspace USA versus tisonlyme321 UK are engaged in hand to hand combat. Wonder who'll win that one? Both good players ... hard to bet on who'll be the victor ... but with onebraincelluk the nearest UK backup things aren't looking too good for the woadwearers there.
And my fave player so far?
Well, it has to be rockgirl63 for the USA. She's surrounded and yet ... battered and bruised she's grappling with Doctor Gas ... a hard opponent to get to grips with and has to hold out until postcard2go can reach her. I do love some of your names. They conjure up some fascinating images in my fishy mind. I'm routing for you rockgirl!
The most dangerous place ... and to be avoided at all costs is the big fist fight between poppop4 USA .. jacky UK .. twosleepy USA .. Quiz Beagle UK .. shadow USA .. blackprinceUk UK .. and gracie for the USA. Wow! And I can see Blackdresss fluttering closeby...and new enlistment soplar USA. Pengy prediction time! Everyone will limp away from that one with war wounds! You thought you were going to get a famous Pengy prophecy there for an outright winner didn't you? No chance. Not at this early stage in the fighting when you're all so sharp and alert and deadly. Next weeks blog will honour and commiserate the winners and the losers.
Did I mention I've got an armoured tank now? No? Well I have so I shall trundle across the Peace Zone to the bordering war on the Survivor.
There's sausage and chips and pepperoni on offer in the Pit. Now don't accuse me of irreverent spectatorship of blood sports ... for I only recently discovered that it was considered 'the thing to do', for the bored affluent gentlemen and their ladies to holiday at the Crimean War. They even took picnic baskets! And to redress the balance ...... picnic baskets were taken to the American Civil War too. So now you know. And isn't that amazing?
Back to modern warfare.
The UK & Co army are already threatening to take a decisive strangehold on my American buddies ... let them go! Famous last words? Let's hope not.
All players seem to be defending their trenches well ... so far ... but there's a bun fight between flopsy UK and twosleepy USA ... everyone else steer clear and don't get caught in the crossfire. Poor flopsy is surrounded in an ambush! I'm on the floppy eared flopsy's side! Who's nearest to help? Ah ... pc377. Who has a battle to win first against hammerdjh. Oh dear ... an Invincible and not just any Invincible but America's top #1 General. Bad luck pc377 and flopsy. I'll get the stretchers (and some lettuce leaves) ready then shall I? Perhaps the newly located smorgasbord in the Pit can double as a convalescence ward for the wounded too?

I'd like to say here that postcards2go ... a new USA recruit ... is giving a good account of himself or herself on both quizzes. Apologies here, I can never distinguish human gender.
And so ... I take a peek at the current stage of play for today ....
Hah! Yet again Anton has nailed the Stars and Stripes to the mast! After going AWOL he's back with a vengeance. Only 7 UK & Co players have run the gauntlet so far today ... can anyone beat his devilishly deadly score?
And pan around to the Survivor and ... hammerdjh is in the lead. It's an American double. What you going to do about that my UK friends?
I shall jog over now and settle down to watch on the sidelines.

ps. I can remember many aeons ago, that in addition to flying the small flag of last months winner on the quiz, I used to change the flag daily in honour of the Challenge's daily winner. I shall resurrect this custom as of now. I shall get the Star & stripes out of mothballs, shake out the spiders and run it up the mast. The flag ... not the spider ... you understand.

No comments: