Hello my friends ... I was lying awake under my duvet last night reminiscing over the wonderful fun we've all had ... and imagining all the sorrowful words of farewell I would tap out to you ..... ..... and I was sad. Over 500 hundred patriotic warriors have enlisted and fought bravely in the trenches on the Challenge battlefield alone.
And , I don't want to say goodbye or adieu.
So ..........................
I rifled through the referee's emergency manual to see if there is a battle plan to cover this kind of emergency.
And this is what I'm going to do.
The monthly war will go on!
The 4 individual battles of the Challenge, The Moguls, The Titans and The Survivor will be reduced to just 2 battles of .... The Challenge and The Survivor.
If you don't want to know the nuts and bolts that is all you need to know.
The Challenge will continue.
The Survivor will continue ... with no elimination process ... so you can continue to play all month.
The other 2, The Titans and The Moguls shall be closed off as from 1st February. The trenches filled in ... the old sticky bun landmines left as the spoils of war. A monument to the worthy players who fought there.
The Challenge quiz will remain unchanged and play exactly the same as it has done for over the last 4 years.
Now .. this raises the very important issue of the smorgasbord sited on the Mogul .... kindly provisioned by Qmel and martin cube. We can not have soldiers going hungry! Starving troops is banned in the Pengy Geneva Convention.
Ah ... could they decamp to the Survivor? The Pit could make a handy den! I don't want to sacrifice our great daily buffets and banter. You two guys are wonderful and make this war a friendly bun fight.
Important change to the Survivor Quiz ...............
The Pit will be redundant because my abacus abilities will no longer stretch to calculating and enforcing the cut-off's on the 7th, 14th and 21st of the month.
So from 1st February everyone can play all month. No elimination process.
I suggest this instead ... we'll see how it works.
This is how it works now ... with a different topic each day .... easy level upto the 7th .... notched up to intermediate between the 7th and 14th ... notched up to difficult from the 14th to the months end. I shall keep that except for the Animals category and the People category which soon run out of difficulty levels.
These will be substituted for General Knowledge, Average, Harder and Difficult. We'll have to see how it goes and whether we like it that way but I'm trying to merge the Mogul with the Survivor here and let the harder questions operate like a natural culling.
Anything else?
Hmm ... don't think so.
Except to say this pengy loves humans and isn't ready to say goodbye. I'd miss you too much and besides it's a great war! It's going to be honed down to how it pretty much started, as our war veterans will remember. Two quizzes.
Hopefully, I'm going to tap out a weekly blog too. Once a week on the weekends to report on the progress of the war ... and cheer you all as you defend your trenches and slap splits and bandages on the wounded.

This is an official announcement from HQ.
War referee. Resident War Correspondent. Sole Medical Officer in Charge.
With help from: Quartermasters; Qmel USA and martin cube UK.
All made possible by: the players. That's YOU. For without you there would be no war.

So please keep playing!

10 comments:

Dippo said...

Excellent news, Pengy! Thanks for all the effort you're putting into this.

Penguin said...

Ah thanks dippo.
I didn't realise quite how much I loved these quizzes until it came to closing them down. Made me miserable.
I'm honing down to what's manageable as it's going back to how it originally began, calculated manually.
I'm quite looking forward to starting up a blog again, albeit weekly.

twosleepy said...

I do mourn the loss of Animals. And after all, Pengy, you ARE an animal... ;0)

Penguin said...

Indeed I am twosleepy ... I have the flippers to prove it.
Animals will remain a subject category until the later stages of the month when the questions become harder,and only then be replaced with something more difficult.
I love animals too. One day they will rule the world! I know. I've seen the Planet of the Apes films.

lg549 said...

Hooray! Thanks for all your efforts to keep it going.

StuHern said...

Glad you're going back to how things were back in the old days, Pengy.

I felt terrible about having to pull the plug on the scoreboards but as this was the only thing I'm still using the site for, I really couldn't justify the expense.

Penguin said...

Feel terrible!
No, you can't! I forbid it!
Your generosity made it all possible! You've kindly hosted the stats to do the number crunching for 4 years. Whoever thought it would last this long? This Pengy considers themself fortunate.
Anyway ... it's still nice to hear from you, and I hope life is treating you kindly. I'd blow you a kiss but people might think it odd ... a penguin fraternising with a human.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for continuing the tournaments, they are fun to play.

On the Survivor, the title seems to have disappeared, so in my Private Tournament list it is blank with a "delete link" next to the blank. So nothing to click on! Only way to access is the link from the Challenge page.

Markswood

Penguin said...

Hi Markswood
I've just had a peep in my admin panel and never seem to have got around to filling in the quiz Title box. It's a mystery it never made a problem before!
I've put it right so presumably when the FT servers update (or whatever they do) it will register.
Sorry for that and thanks for pointing it out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fix.
The title was there before, so must have been accidentally deleted, as it was working perfectly up until a few days ago. Anyway, it's all good and working now.

Mark